Thursday, October 23, 2008

On taking care

Now, don't get me wrong.. I'm not sweating; I'm just processing. My brain doesn't seem to have an off button.

When we arrived in Newark I realized that I was sick with a UTI, and unreasonably hoped that I would be able to take over the counter meds and last until I got home. Why?.. Didn't want to waste any of my trip time trying to see a doctor. When, on Friday, I had an unimaginably wonderful opportunity to purchase yarn, and instead, I stood like a statue and only purchased 3 skeins.. well, my friends morphed into a posse, surrounded me and took me to the nearest hospital in Rhinebeck.

I must mention that the nurse was from Timmons. She rocked.

Now, after reading the Yarn Harlot's most recent post, I realized that she sounded scarily exhausted. No darned wonder that she was surrounded.. if I were her friend, I would do the same exact thing. Just like mine did for me... Taking care. It's a blessing.

Regarding the privacy situation, I have a possible solution. The NO FLY ZONE hat.

I knew a couple, years ago, who had a family hat. It was shared and worn by a family member who needed some space. If the hat was on, then that person developed a no fly zone; respected by all. No talking, no interrupting, no questions, no demands. Just space. I propose that our community do this very same thing for our own. Doesn't it just solve all the dilemmas? If the hat is on, then I know not to disturb. If it's off, then I know it's appropriate to approach. If the hat is on, then our people know they can wander and shop in peace. If it's off.. (you get the idea)

I'm trying to make you smile... we all know that no one is going to be wearing, say, a big red hat (tho it would solve hair issues, wouldn't it?); but wouldn't it be nice if there were some way of knowing what the rules are? An indicator? I think Linda is correct, and the rules are bound by situation (celebrity signing autographs) and good manners (celebrity shopping) and common sense (you are not actually my very best friend because I know that we have matching stoves, and I have read about your life).

Pretty simple, really. I feel better now.

Thank you to Stephanie for taking the time to post a kind and thoughtful response. And to Aunty Tink for the tiara theory. I'll have to be more careful in bright sunlight; those dangley parts could be dangerous.

Tomorrow? I'm talkin about SEX baby.

11 comments:

Gale Bulkley said...

I could use a hat like that. Do you have one?

Annie said...

I bought a new hat in Woodstock, so maybe it should be my no fly zone..

aunty tink said...

I'm going shopping today for the biggist, baddest, no fly hat I can find. You just have to say that you'll wear it to work on those days that you don't want to talk to me!

Annie said...

i never, ever, ever don't want to talk to you!..

Kayla W said...

I want a hat. Just for you, I'm going to buy the most garrish red hat I can find. Maybe one of those giant cat in the hat hats. I'll saunter through the doors of M1 and scare the bejeezus out of you. But you can't talk to me because I'll have my hat on. Oh, this'll be fun!

Anonymous said...

Will the No Fly hat work as well at work, one wonders...

one can only hope... ;-)

Jocelyn said...

ha! why knitting is like sex...

Bellflower said...

I myself, AM a No Fly Hat/Zone, Baybee! (and an electric firecracker.) I also think that sounds like a really cool colour for some fibre....

Anonymous said...

Crap. I look terrible in hats. ; )

Annie said...

.. as do we all (except for blogless-correna.. who is perfection in a hat)! ever seen a .. ahem.. 'healthy' 50 y/o in a tiara? yet it must be worn. ;)

Unknown said...

We're still awaiting the SEX-talk, Annie. Every single one of us. I, for one, want to know more about what goes on, on trips like this. :)