Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The big scary surprize


Today Aunty Tink and I were at the computer, inputting the necessary information to process our boarding passes when, to my utter shock and dismay, I discovered that my passport had expired. In March.

Perhaps you remember last week when I noticed that my diver's license had expired 13 months ago. 13 MONTHS. Have I gone insane?

So there I was, approximately 22 hours away from departure, and I rudely learn that I don't have the documentation to board a plane. Despite my absolute knowledge that there wasn't a darned thing that could be done to resolve the issue, I headed down to the Harry Hays building to throw myself at the feet of the Passport people. I was advised that a few tears would not be remiss, but to be honest I was in complete and utter shock.. wayyyyyy beyond tears.

After driving to and fro, speaking with the really, really nice/helpful gatekeeper guy, getting pictures done, getting my good friends Aunty Tink and Tangledarts to be my references, paying big money for parking (twice), patiently sitting (all the while willing myself not to SCREAM at the very annoying and obviously exhausted child behind me who was repeating the same 4 words over, and over and over and over.. honestly.. if I had thought for a second that it wouldn't have completely ruined my chances at a passport, I might have said something rude to that little person. I played possibilities over and over in my head).... and finally being processed by the nicest guy in the Canadian Government, I found myself the owner of a shiny new passport. I cannot even wrap my head around how bad that would have been if we hadn't tried to process the boarding passes.. what if I had found out that I was passport-free at the airport tomorrow morning? OMG.. I hate to even think it! I'm still shaking.

Phew... that was too close.

So tonight I will pack, and to be honest, I still haven't decided what I'm taking with me.. so many options, so little room in the bag!

While I'm gone, in the spirit of Awesome Joce and the Yarn Harlot, I've invited my BF to guest blog. I hope you enjoy each other. I'm pretty sure he uses punctuation correctly.

If you're happen to be at Rhinebeck, you'll be able to recognize me by my Ravitar yellow rubber boots, and I'll be wearing a really fabulous tiara (Thank you Donna!).

I'll be back on the 21st. Play nice!

4 comments:

Gale Bulkley said...

Wow. What a save!

aunty tink said...

Have you signed your new shiny passport?  It's not valid until it's signed, and I'm not taking any more chances.  You have to get on that plane!

Darch said...

I travelled on an expired passport to the States, they didn't care as long as my driver's license was valid and the photo on my passport still looked like me.

Coming home when I explained to the Canadian customs guy about my expired passport he barely acknowledged me and swiped my passport as though everything was ok, didn't look at my driver's license at all.

Glad you got it all sorted out, I realized the day I was travelling and was in quite a panic. Not fun.

Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Make sure that you take lots of pictures of you and your shiney tiara. Have lots of fun and I will see you all after I get back November 12
Donna