Sunday, October 26, 2008

Can you imagine losing one of your senses?



BF did. Slowly and completely.. his sense of smell disappeared. He loves to cook, and to eat, and he's a very sensual person, so this loss was significant. He was already nearly deaf in one ear, but coping with that was easier.

Earlier this year he had a surgery. We hoped that his sense of smell would return. It did not; but his breathing improved. The snoring did a bit too.

I have to admit that I haven't alllllways been sad that he couldn't smell things. I might have gotten away with a thing or two. Maybe.

Yesterday, out of the blue, his sense of smell returned. So these last two days he's been sniffing and snuffling and snorting up everything that even remotely has a scent. Did you know that cellophane noodles have a smell?

Me neither.

It's really happy around here right now.

4 comments:

...AnnaRose... said...

Lucky BF! My mom lost her sense for smelling through an influenza and it never came back. Unfortunately I am always forgetting that she can't smell anymore when I want to "show" her something.

Anne

Gale Bulkley said...

Wow! That's fantastic news. I know a doctor in South Africa that is a toxicologist. He tells me that there is a snake whose venom may cause the victim to loose their sense of taste. Weird huh?

Shell said...

My Mom's a life-long smoker, she can't smell a darn thing unless it's really strong.

Congrats to the BF on getting the sense of smell back. I hope he loves the smell of wool!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I had no idea. Definitely something to be thankful for.