Monday, December 3, 2007

Sheep to shawl

As the summer waned, BF and I took a long motorcycle ride which brought us to the Millarville/Priddis Fair. We were thrilled to discover there was a sheep to shawl competion going on; three teams were competing. We stayed for quite a long time, just watching in amazement. The Heritage Weavers and Spinners Guild was there; three barefooted ladies were spinning up a storm. Another lady wound the bobbins, and a fifth was doing the weaving. The wool came straight from the sheep; uncleaned, in the grease. It was quickly combed by hand before being handed off to spinners. Although 'our team' didn't win, I was the lucky winner of the silent auction afterwards, and I now enjoy that same shawl. It's so warm and cozy... I think partially due to the fact that I was so (emotionally) involved in it's preparation. Honestly, the competition was the real reason I joined the Guild... It was just too great to miss.

So, here's a photo of my really special shawl, and a link to some pictures that BF took during our day at the fair.



Today is dying day (yesterday was too), and I have some cashmere packaged. It's all good, and I'm really happy.

No comments: