Sunday, June 15, 2008

Things I know now that I didn't know before.


This whole 'keeping locks intact' thing is not only important, but it's somewhat more complex than I had anticipated. I'm thinking that next time, instead of separating the fleece into bag sized hunks, that I'll separate the locks and put them into the bags that way, in some kind of careful order. Also, drying... it's not a good idea to hang the hunks of wet fleece from S-hooks on the baker's rack like you do with roving. As the hunks dry, gravity takes over, and you'll end up with sheets of fluff resembling cobwebs. Not so easy to spin.

So.. my first Cormo is washed, and mostly dry. I've spun a bobbin's worth and I think it's beautiful and soft (the nepps are a design feature. yes. they. are.) It's not perfect, but it's not ruined.

Oh, one more thing. If you flick out the ends on your thigh as you sit, be sure to put a piece of canvas on your leg. If not, you might ruin one of the only two pairs of jeans that fit you. That would be really sad, wouldn't it?

PS: Shearing a poodle isn't as easy as you might think. But it is possible. The Shih Tzu requires anesthetic (the question is.. for the dog, or for us?)

PS2: I registered the Heartland Lace Shawl and my Hela Icelandic Cardi into the Western Canadian Showcase for the Stampede. All I have to do is get them there on the 25th.

PS3: Apparently sock wars has gone bonkers. I died just in time. The game has been called.


Photo from the Cormo Sheep and Wool Farm, from whence the actual fleece came.

No comments: