Monday, April 13, 2009

Shearing



I had the greatest time at the shearing on Saturday. Vikingmaid and her business partner were just fantastic in every way; organized, fun, interesting and helpful. I now know how to skirt a fleece, and was lucky enough to split a Cotswold fleece (a 2 year growth, resulting in up to 11" staple). I washed a good deal of the fleece as soon as I got home, and I've spun a little already. It is FABULOUS. There were lots of sheep about to give birth, and some adorable little black lambs gamboling about.

Did you know that sheep are a real visual bunch, and that after they are sheared, they don't recognize each other? That's why, after being shorn, they are often penned very closely (in a 'crush'); so that they are forced to reacquaint. Interesting.

I'm going to go again this Saturday... I could easily become a shearing groupie..

3 comments:

...AnnaRose... said...

I second your last sentence. See you next Saturday! :)

Anne

Cindy said...

Huh. Very interesting.

Cindy said...

So it's Saturday again. Are you going to start bringing sheep home with you? ;)