Saturday, February 16, 2008

It snowed

I so knew it would. My head feels better, so the way I figure it, it's not going to warm up or cool down tomorrow.

Today I was going to knit this: Cabled Rangoli Hat

but, instead I knit this: Jackyll and Hyde

Well, not all of it, but about the first 12 inches from the bottom up. BFML told me that Aidan needs one for snowboarding and that he wants one with eye holes.. so there you go. I had spun some BFL over Christmas, and made it a nice squishy 3 ply; didn't dye it.. so it turned out to be the perfect choice. My initial plan was go to Make One and pick up some Noro for the Rangoli. I don't really love Noro all that much (tho I get that I'm in the minority here), but I think it would be a good choice for that tam. And, by the way.. after I have knit it, I'm also going to knit Gretel. I think I'm on a hat kick.

It was one of those quiet days; the only thing I accomplished besides knitting was to do some laundry, clean up a bit upstairs, and make my version of pasta fagioli. Not the recipe I linked to, but you'll get the idea.

I have a question... Is vintage wool (20 plus years old) no good? Recently two customers have come in asking this very question and have said that their understanding is that old wool looses its elasticity. I happen to have a great deal of it myself, and now I'm wondering if I should just chuck it.

So, what do you think?

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I think the old wook could be fine if it hasn't felted. If you're talking about roving, I'd unroll it and give it gentle snaps every foot or so to fluff it up. You could also re-card or re-comb it.

I guess it just kills me to think about throwing wool away.

Brinda said...

i'm so glad your head isn't hurting as much today!!