Saturday, November 1, 2008

He loves waffles, and I love him


belgian waffles
Originally uploaded by spinknit

He's not even here right now (bgaidan, that is), but he'd told me last week that he was running low (I make a big batch, and freeze them for his breakfast each weekday morning). Now I have enough in the freezer to keep him happy for 2 weeks.

Last weekend I heard him tell his dad to never, ever, EVER buy eggos again. It made me so darned happy.

Just incase you'd like waffles too, here's the recipe I came up with. I healthied them up a bit, and I'm sure you could tune them up even moreso.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine 2 beaten eggs, 1/2c oil, and 1-3/4c milk. I add about 1/2 tsp. vanilla. The real stuff.

In another medium bowl, combined 1-3/4c flour, 1 Tbs. baking powder, & 1/4 tsp. salt. I add about 1/4c or more of ground flax seed, and 1/4 tsp or more of cinnamon.

Mix the wet into the dry all at once, stir until moistened. Cook in your waffle maker..

No sugar so far!

The serving part is the kicker, don't you think? Jim likes to make a syrup with fresh fruit. The kids like that and whipped cream. I like it the Swedish way that my grandmother used to do it... a dollop of sour cream and a heaping tablespoon of cranberry sauce (Swedish soul food, she said)

Like to cook? BF and Dida were enjoying this website, and I think it's high time that we saw it too.

Knitting hasn't been going well. I knit a right mitten for the third time. It was about then that I figured out that I was really, really, really not feeling well. It's run its course today tho.

3 comments:

Gale Bulkley said...

oh my god. I keep forgetting to take the magazine out and send you the article with the waffle recipe. Please forgive me. Someone else wants it too...

Forever forgetful, Galw

Shell said...

I love my waffle iron with a deep and abiding passion too. Eggo's just aren't anywhere near as good.

Unknown said...

I could have sworn I commented... "anyway..."

Did I say that Annie makes The Best Waffles?

Here's a twist on the topping. Stew up some rhubarb. (Scrimp on the sugar, if you dare.) On top of one of those wonderful, slightly crunchy, hot waffles, lay a large spoonful (or two) of said rhubarb stew. Ah, but there's more! Reach into the fridge for that neglected Ricotta. Check it's expiry date to make sure its "fairly recent" (or better yet, sometime in the future!) Scoop a large dollop out of the container, and place it gently on top of the rhubarb stew on top of the waffle.
(I dug in at that point, "...and it was good.") But, you might make something more of the presentation, like tuck a sprig or two of mint into the rhubarb, and/or sprinkle some icing sugar onto the whole thing before you present it to one of your favourite people. They'll love it (unless maybe they're under 15.,,)