Sunday, November 22, 2009

Life, since I started stalking DonnaJ


I dunno.. you meet somebody and you know that they're somebody special.. and even at my age, you wonder if you're cool enough to be her friend. You hope you are.

There she is; funny, talented, interesting, and having reached SABLE (stash accumulated beyond life expectancy), laughingly shares that her yarn room had an avalanche. Damn, that room was amazing, even with the avalanche. If someone shut you in there, you'd starve to death before you ever tried the door to see if it was, in fact, locked. That same day several of us sat outside in her yard and spun yarn (I was working on the Bison for the Miralda shawl), drank iced coffees, ate fresh shortcake.. it was some kind of heaven.

Donna has a wheel collection, and she was kind enough to lend me her Majacraft Rose. I never gave it back (is that stealing?). She donated two (not one, but two) Tsock Tsarina kits to benefit the potluck fundraiser that Bellie threw for us. I was lucky enough to score both of them, through luck, the grace of God, and $40. I KNOW that I am going to turn the Golden West sock kit into a first place ribbon at Stampede. Watch me!

OK, so there was this purple mohair shawl that Donna knit for Sandra and Amy when the store first opened (Sandra told us how Donna used to come and basically taught her about the finer aspects of yarn). When I was managing the store, I used to wear the shawl around my hips, like a skirt, because my thighs were always freezing (go figure). Lately I've been thinking a lot about that shawl, and I asked Bess if I could buy it off of her. She told me I could have it (even though it is so pretty, and is a lovely store sample). I don't know how I'm going to repay her for such kindness, but I have GOT to tell you... today i wore that shawl all day long, and I just feel so great that it's mine.

Might just sleep with it. I haven't decided.

I'm not against the Mo.

3 comments:

RunwithSticks said...

Looking forward to seeing you wearing the shawl when I stop by the store one day - how nice of Bess! And I think everyone needs to have a friend like this Donna. She sounds like the Queen of Fibre :)

Shell said...

It warms my heart to see you so happy.

I think my stash may have exceeded my life span to knit too. Mine is just spread out a bit more.

Jaime said...

oh that shawl. I love that you got it. it's been yours since the first day I saw you with it tied around your hips, over your jeans, looking oh-so-fashionable. xoxo